Friday 18 October 2013

Confirmation of lands and Arms by Walter Haywode To John Fromond (12 March 1403/4)

To all those who shall see or hear these present letters, Walter Haywode, Esquire, of Stratfeld Say, greeting in God. Know ye that I have granted and by this charter confirm to John Fromond, Esquire, and to his heirs and to his assigns, all the lands, tenements, rents, reversions, suits and services of Haywode in Stratfeldsay aforesaid, together with the appurtenances, by the name of the Manor of Haywode, together with the arms following, that is to say: The Chief azure three fleur de lys argent with a chevron ermine which arms belong to the lands & tenements aforesaid: and the which arms I have used and borne until now by reason of the right in the said lands and tenements aforesaid. And also know ye that I, the said Walter, have released & by these quitclaim for me, my heirs and assigns to the said John, his heirs and his assigns, all the right which I have in the lands and tenements, rents, reversions, suits and services of Haywode aforesaid, together with the appurtenances, which the said John has and holds in fee of my gift in the vills of Bromle and Redynge or elsewhere in the counties of Southampton and Berkshire: To have and to hold all the lands and tenements, rents, reversions, suits and services aforesaid, together with their appurtenances, by the name of the manor of Haywod aforesaid, together with the arms beforenamed, to the said John, his heirs and his assigns, so that I, the aforesaid Walter, my heirs and my assigns, can in the same have or claim no right, title or claim in times to come, but of all manner of actions in the same are closed & forbarredby the presents for ever. And I, the aforesaid Walter, and my heirs will warrant all the lands, tenements, rents, reversions and services and suits together with their appurtenances aforesaid, by the name of the manor of Haywode, together with all the arms aforesaid to the said John & his heirs & his assigns against all men for ever by these presents. In testimony whereof I, the aforesaid Walter to these have put my seal. Given on the feast of St. Gregory the Pope, in the fifth year of the reign of King Henry the Fourth since the conquest of England.

in Collection of Miscellaneous Grants, Harleian Society, 1925 (translated from French)


No comments:

Post a Comment